jump to navigation

Chandka MedicalCollege Larkana- Introduction April 19, 2006

Posted by chandkianworld in INTRODUCTION.
1 comment so far

                       It was Friday, the 20th April, 1973 when people of Larkana witnessed an inauguration ceremony of Chandka Medical College. It was the fourth Medical College of the Province. This was the earnest need of upper Sindh. At the time of independence, there was only one Medical College in the province of Sindh i.e. Dow Medical College, Karachi. In 1951,an other Medical Institution in the of Sindh Medical School came into existence, which later on was converted  to Liaquat Medical College, Jamshoro. As both the Medical Colleges were far from upper Sindh, Peoples Particularly the poor had difficulty to go a long way for treatment, so a need for a new college & hospital was long felt to provide the health facility to the area deprived off in the past. Now this college provides facilities not only to upper Sindh but a large adjoining area of Balochistan province and also a part of lower Punjab.

                      “Chandka” was the old name Larkana, that was derived from Chandio tribute which is the oldest tribe residing in this areas. The college was established in a building, which already existed as Government Polytechnic Institute & D.C. High School Larkana, which were converted in to Chandka Medical College, with Prof. Ali Mohammad Ansari as 1st Principal & P.D. the building comprised of ground floor and 1st floor. On the ground floor, in the center there was an Auditorium Hall, with a capacity of 00 persons. The left side block was given to Anatomy and on top of it Physiology was established. On the right of Auditorium Hall, Administration Block was setup with Biochemistry and Girls common room on the top.    0710155643_222

                        First Batch of 150 students was admitted in 1973. it was necessary to hostels to the students for which Polytechnic Institute Elementary Teachers Training College and Nursing hostel were utilized for boys & girls respectively. Second Batch of 250 students was admitted in 1974. due to shortage of accommodation as a result of increasing number of admissions, one four story girls hostel & two boys hostels were constructed,. Now it has six boys hostels and two girls which can accommodates about 1100 students.

                         In 197, as student of first batch passed First Professional Examination, Pathology and Pharmacology Department were established in old polytechnic institute. Later on a second floor was constructed over Pathology Department to Establish Community Medicine and Forensic Medicine Departments. The new administration block, air conditioned library and two air conditioned lecture halls were also added increasing the total number of air conditioned lecture halls to four. Gigantic look is given by one thousand seated tall centrally air conditioned new auditorium hall in front of administration block. A Gymnasium Building for indoor games, mini stadium for out door games have also been completed and renovated. The work on central canteen is in progress.

                           Thousands of text books of latest editions on different subjects are available in the air conditioned library for students. Reference books are also made available for teaching staff. Almost Journals of all specially are also available. Besides this, full-fledged computer section with multimedia and internet facilities are available. Medical Education Hall has also been added to complete the PMDC requirement. In addition the facilities for postgraduate students have been added including library, reading room, CD Rom as the classes of postgraduate students have also been started. On clinical side, the already existing 150 bedded District head Quarter hospital was extended by constructing new blocks of medicine, ophthalmology and cardiology. Shaikh Zaid Women Hospital, and Paediatrics medicine and Surgical block have also been added. In order to meet the growing number of patients a need was felt for addition of 100 bedded extension block of Shaikh Zaid Women Hospital, there is a separate Institute of Nursing in the compound of this Hospital. The Children Hospital gives service to all the Paediatrics patients with all the facilities for emergency cases and neonatal care. Keeping in view the increased number of patients ailments of different field in children government of Sindh has announced the project of National Institute of Child Health, which is first ever project of Sindh government. Full fledged Urology Department has been established by the size of 302 bedded teaching hospital near college campus. It comprises of medical and surgical specialties beside lithotripter and dialysis facilities new casualty block with X-Rays facility and operation theater has been constructed along with new OPD building to complete the Chandka Medical College Hospital complex with total bed strength of 1200.

                           Radiology Department with X-Ray, Ultrasound, Colour Doopler facilities and modern laboratories with automatic analyzers are also available in different section of the Hospital. There are four Clinical Laborites. Amongst these, three laboratories at three hospitals give routine laboratory test facilities along with screening of blood. While fourth at college campus gives facility  of special tests like, Biopsies, Bone Marrow Examinations, FNCs and Microbiology tests like centre of various biological fluid. Larkana institute of nuclear medicine and radiotherapy (LINAR) is working since the early days of establishment of the college.

                           The Chandka Medical College, is recognized by Pakistan Medical & Dental Council (PMDC) and also by General Medicine Council (GMS) and LUMHS for FCPS, MD,     M. Phil, MCPS and various other diploma courses. The College Physicians & Surgeons has also established its regional center at CMC Larkana. CPSP, has started conducting FCPS-I, FCPS-II and MCPS Examination CMC, Larkana center since 1999. the results (Passing Percentage) of candidates appearing theory examinations is comparable with other centers of the country.     

                             Chandka Medical College has sufficient teaching staff. Apart from major fields there are consultants is minor specialties also, for example in Urology, Nephrology, Paedaiatrics Surgery, Neuro-Surgery and Dermatology.   

                           The last convocation which was held by LUMHSUniversity of Sindh  for last three batches of 24, 25 and 26.

Advertisements

LARKANA – town where the chandka medical college situated April 19, 2006

Posted by chandkianworld in INTRODUCTION.
34 comments

Larkana is a growing city in the Northwest of Sindh Province, near Sukkur, Pakistan. Larkana lies on 27o 33' North latitude and 65o 16' East longitude. The City is the 4 largest city of Sindh Province. The name Larkano is taken from the Caste of the people who live in the city, "Lark", although this community did not rule the city, yet they were involved in the mechanization of the city.

Larkana is as old as Civilization of Moen-Jo-Daro that dates back to five thousand years. Larkana was renown for its product of Cloth in those days. Its product of cloth was shifted from Moen-jo-Daro to the rest of countries via water ways. in the mean time same cloth was used for mummification in Egypt. Thus credit for unparalleled technological advancement of Moen-jo-Daro goes to its trade of cloth.

 Aryans had come in Sindh in 2234 B.C. They had settled in different part of Sindh. They while crossing Larkana, reached Bhanbhoor.  Jhokar-jo-Daro is a proof of Aryan visit. Different people came in Sindh but non could eliminate the Tradition of Aryans till teachings of Gotam Budh spread for and wide in 480s B.C whose proof is found in Moen-jo-Daro that was a center of worship for Bhudism. Sikandar attacked Sindh in 330 B.C. His forces had crossed little village known as Mahota. it was named by his forces as Maota in Greek. After Greeks, Sindh was ruled by Gupt Family from 320 A.D to 525 A.D. Thus, Chandias were rewarded heavily for their contribution. It was in this period that Larkana was named as Chandka. However, after demise of Jam Nizamuddin, Shah Beg Argon started ruling over Sindh.

Larkano city is purely result of Construction of Canal “Ghaari Wah”. In late 16th century, Kalhoras (also referred now as ABBASI) started their rule. In their rule, Shah Baharo was a ruler of Larkano in Kalhora period Sindhi language rose to its peak, especially in the period of Clan Mian Sarfaraz Ahmed Khan Kalhoro Sahb. After end of Kalhora rule, period of Talpur came and Nawab Wali Mohammad Khan was made Governor of Larkano.

In 1843 A.D, The English occupied Sindh. They divided Sindh in three parts Vis Karachi, Hyderabad and Shikarpur. Larkana was the part of Shikarpur and Dadu was part of Larkana. In 1930 A.D. Dadu was made separate District and Larkana got its present shape during Historic movement for Pakistan. Larkanians took active role in movement of Khilafat and Higrat so on the whole Larkana is always been the center of political activity in Sindh.

One of world's oldest archeological site, Mohen Jo Daro, exists some 28 Km far from the city, near Larkano Airport. In 2000, almost 1,000 tourists from, Japan, France, Ireland, Norway, Czech Republic and Some 16 retired U.S Generals visited the Mohen-Jo-Daro.

Larkano has fertile Land that cultivates all kind of fruits and vegetables, including potatoes, Melons, Olives, Oranges, Peas, Carrots, Cucumber, and Mangoes. Some 10 Km far away from the city, sugar is cultivated to fill up the need of Sugar Factory located in NauDero Village, the Birth Place of Former Prime Minister of Pakistan Shaheed Zulfikar Ali Bhutto.

 Important towns in the vicinity of Larkana include Dokri, Naudero, Ratodero, Bakrani, Badah and District Qambar, Shahdadkot including Mirokhan.

Larkana got status of Muncipal Committee in 1855 AD.

With the completion of the Sukkur Barrage in 1931 towards the west of Larkano was the Dadu Canal and in the east the Rice Canal which went on to become a place for cultural gatherings in the initial days but with the onset of the Rice Canal the Ghaad Waah started drying up and the place lost its charm.

          Famous for the quality of its rice, it is an important grain market and a trading center for silk and cotton goods. Brass and other metal ware are manufactured. 

 Larkana has been often referred to as the 'Eden of Sind' or 'Shiraz of Sind' or even Bang-e-Anam' which led to it being known as the Garden City. This probably came about on the basis of the numerous garden that were there in the city, the most famous being the 'Tajar Baugh' and 'Gyan Baugh' apart from 'Tolani Baugh', 'Riyali Baugh', Baaey-jo-Baugh', Thanwar Baugh',' Karamam Baugh', 'Lahori Baugh', 'Dharami Baugh', 'Lekhraj Baugh'. Amongst these gardens the mangoes from Tolani Baugh and the beir from Dharami Baugh were famous throughout the world and much in demand. Two public parks also adorned the city namely 'Bolus Park' which was used for political and social gatherings and 'Mazdoor Park' which was a open air study place for the budding students.

 Larkana city is divided into three parts having tow physical barriers i.e. railway line and Rice Canal. The old town is located towards east of railway line which is densely populated and has already developed as a commercial and retail center. This part comprises Qafila Sirai, Ali Goharabad, Galib Nagar, Surahia Padhar, Kadri Muhalla, Ghareeb Mukaam, Leelaabad, Karma Bagh, Daree Muhalla, Gajanpure, Murad Wahan, Allahabad, Zulifiquar Bagh, Jinnah Bagh.

   The second part of the city is between railway line and Rice canal towards the west of the old town. Main buildings and muhalla's in this part are Circuit House, Sir Shahnawaz Library, Chandka Medical College & Hospital, DCO office, High Court Building, Pilot Secondary School, STN TV station, Boys Degree College, Lahori Muhalla, Peoples Colony, Doctors Colony.

      Third part is located between Rice canal and on both sides of Ghar Wah, north west of the town. Newly developed Muncipal housing Colony, Shaikh Zaid Woman's Hospital, District Jail, Children’s Hospital, EDO Education, Larkana FM Radio station, Shaikh Zaid Colony, Police training center.

Sindhi is the central language of almost all the people. Siraikis is also widely spoken, which is similar to the Sindhi language

Educational Institutions

 Larkano is advancing due to the modern trends and vogue in the city. Larkano is turning toward giving quality education to its citizens. The literacy rate in Larkana district is 35%. There are almost 50 private K-G Schools throughout the City, run privately. Some of the Institutions which are offering education are categorized below:

Chandka Medical College, Larkana.
 Z.A Bhutto Agricultural College, Dokri
Govt. Polytechnic College, Larkana.
Govt. Pilot Higher Secondary School (built by British in 1926)
Govt. Municipal Higher Secondary School
Larkano Public School
Cadet College Larkano
Sindh Science College Larkano, (Private)
City Public School (Private)
Govt. Degree College Larkano
Govt. Girls Degree College Larkano
Govt. College of Arts & Commerce Larkano
Govt. Law College, Larkano
B.Ed College Larkano

 Statistics of Larkana city

Area of City:      10 sq miles (approx)

Population of city:

1901           0.015 millions
1941           0.028 millions
1981           0.124 millions
1998           0.519 millions

There are 19804 villages in the district. The total population of these villages is 1.47 millions.

Cinema Houses:  Al-Manzar, Nigar and    Chelopetra

Public Parks : Jinnah Bagh, Zulfiquar Bagh, Shahnawaz Children Park, New Railway Park 1 & 2, Nawa Tak Park, Kamal Atta Turk Park.

e

There are various animals wandering on the streets including Dogs, Cats, Donkeys, Horses, and Camels. There are various kinds of birds in the city, cold blooded birds come from Russia, in the winter and make swamp on the bank of Indus River near Mohenjo-Daro.